Over 300 IDPs received emergency food assistance in Mingkaman.

At least over three hundred households ‘flood-affected victims in Mingkaman receive emergency food assistance. The food distribution, which started on Wednesday, is being conducted by a national NGO called Assistance for Relief and Development Agency (ARDA).

Mr. Bup Mading Bup is the field coordinator for ARDA; he said the combined two households to share 50kg bag of maize flour, 25kg per household. “We have identified sixty families from Pakeer alone, Ajuong the same sixty, so sixty people will be given thirty bags of maize flour because it is a little food,” said Bup.

He said the people receiving food are those identified as the most vulnerable groups. Saying they have given community leaders the responsibility to select their vulnerable people in the payams. And he urged people to be patient as they continue lobbying for more fundings to support the flood-displaced victims.

Mr. Yeah Dup is one of the community leaders in Mingkaman. He raised his concerns saying the food would not be enough to feed thousands of people in need. He urges the organization to bring more food that can meet the total registered IDPs.

Abuk Agot, one of the women who received food, said she appreciated the organization for a quick response. ’’We were the people affected by flood in our areas; we lost all our properties,” said Agot.

She said that they use to sleep in the open space without shelter or mosquito nets and no clean drinking water available.

Agot said this little food would help her family to survive for a few days to wait until they get the next distribution round.

Fifteen thousand people who fled Bor as a result of floods are camping in Mingkaman, many living in the schools.

Plane crashed in Juba has killed 7 people and 1 survived

At least 7 people have died and one survived in a plane crashed in Juba on Saturday morning. The plane came down in Kermiru village about 15 kilometers west of Juba international airport.

An official said eight people were on board, five passengers, and three crew members.  Kur Kuol Ajith is the managing director of Juba International Airport. He said the plane was en route from Juba to Wau and Aweil in Northern Bahr el Ghazal to delivered soldiers’ salaries.

He said they will launch an investigation to established the cause of the accident which he said happen few minutes after its takeoff.

The aircraft belongs to Southwest Aviation.

Last week a private chartered aircraft by NNGO crashed at New Fangak in Jonglei state, with seven people on board and all survived.

NAS claims responsibility for the killing of six VP’s bodyguards

The National Salvation Front- NAS has claimed responsibility for the road ambushed attack that killed six bodyguards of South Sudan vice president, Dr. James Wani Igga. Dr. James Wani was not in the vehicle during the incident; two soldiers were wounded, one abducted and destroyed.
The soldiers fall in an ambushed on Wednesday, 19th August, between Lobonok and Juba.
The vice president’s Office says the soldiers were on a government mission to visit Dr. James Wani Igga’s home in Lobonok. The press secretary Kalisto Lodu accused NAS of the carrying out this deliberate act of aggression. He described it as a serious violation of the cessation of hostility within the Revitalize Peace Agreement signed in 2018.
The attack led to the displacement of civilians in the area.
The spokesperson of the National Salvation Front claims responsibility. Suba Samuel says their forces ambushed and killed the bodyguards.
He accused the soldiers of being on a mission to identify their hiding location.
National Salvation Front, also statement issued to the media on 20th August, said the VP bodyguard was killed in action.

NAS is one of the holdout groups that did not sign the revitalized peace agreement, but it agreed with the government to end the violence through the peace process mediated in Rome, Italy.

 

A private plane crashed in New Fangak

A private plane has crashed in New Fangak on Sunday with seven people on board. The aircraft 5Y-SAV was chartered by  National NGO, Nile Hope to deliver humanitarian aid.
Tut Gatkek, senior staff at Nile Hope, said five passengers and two crew members were on board, and all survived. According to the official, out of the five passengers and two crews, only two sustained minor injuries.
The aircraft owned by City Link Company was chartered to deliver humanitarian supply from Juba on Saturday.
According to Nile Hope, the plane stuck in the muddy airstrip in New Fangak.
Some community members helped push the plane out of the muddy, but it skipped the runway and hit a tree during takeoff.
Many parts of Jonglei State have flooded displacing thousands of residents.

President Salva Kiir declared the State of emergency in Jonglei and the Pibor administrative area on Wednesday.

South Sudan artists volunteer to disseminate Revitalized peace agreement.

Duop Pur Dup, Deputy Artists Union [left], John Kudusay, musician [right] at Mayardit FM studio in Turalei.

South Sudan artist union announced the plans to spread revitalized peace agreement across south Sudan. The musicians said the group would move in the ten states and administrative areas, explaining the importance of togetherness through music.

Deputy President of South Sudan Artist Union Mr. Duop Pur Duop argues that a sense of real peace would be achieved through a collective effort of all South Sudanese. Pur said there is a need to reconcile communities and put apart differences cause during the civil war in 2013.

It is a national initiative by South Sudan artist union to reconcile people in the state area. Legendary artist in the Country will be identified. Artists like John Kudusay, Emmanuel Kembe, others, and other senior musicians in the Country will be resources for the union and for the peace process to reconcile people. Duop Stated”

The artist encouraged individual musicians to organized peace concerts to restore social unity among the South Sudanese.

Another prominent musician is John Kudusay, who concern about the lack of peace in the Country. He said the nation should not be consent to government alone to fix social interactions, economic and education systems. 

Absent of peace cannon only affects one person. The absence of effect every society surrounded and, therefore, it can be an inclusive concern. All of us have to stand strong and say yes to peace and no to war. We can begin with our neighbors to have peace with and then the whole society. There are no leaders who can fight, but the supporters are the ones who fight and become the victims. And so, it is everyone’s concern to say no to support of war and yes to peace,” Kudusay said.

Kudusay appealed to everyone in the Country to begin preaching about peace, love, and unity.

Chapter five (5) of the peace agreement talks about reconciliation and healing. The Reconstituted Transitional Government of National Unity- R-TGoNU is expected to establish “Commission for Truth, Reconciliation, and Healing (CTRH) a critical part of the peace agreement the legacy of conflict and promote peace among the South Sudanese communities. This body supposed to be in place three months after the formation of the government.

Over 120 killed in clashes between soldiers and armed youth.

Armed youth in Tonj, PHOTO: Eye Radio

Death toll in the recent fighting between soldiers and armed civilians in Warrap State risen to 127 people. The army spokesman said one hundred and twenty-seven [127] people have died on both sides in Tonj East clashes.

Major General Lul Ruai is a spokesman for South Sudan people defence forces (SSPDF said among the dead were eighty-two civilians and forty-five soldiers.  

Lul also said 32 people were wounded and receiving treatment in Juba military hospital. 

However, the number of wounded people from the civilians’ side remained uncleared. 

The SSPDF said, members of disarmament forces have withdrawn to Ngap Agok to deescalate the situation.

The army official says two soldiers accused of triggering off the initial clash have been detained.

Gen Lul added that the investigation committee will be sent to Tonj in the coming days. 

“The chiefs are being urged to identify the suspects who attacked the military unit on the 8th August to ascertain the correct motive,” said Lul.

He assured the public that peaceful disarmament exercise would continue inTonj.

On Monday, multiple eyewitnesses in Tonj East County said more than thirty people had been killed when armed youth clashes with soldiers over the weekend. https://bit.ly/3fIJKhD

Traders in the Romic market also said their shops were looted during the incident. Food and non-food items are taken making it difficult for them to recover their goods. 

Some traders spokes to Mayardit FM.” These fighting has destroyed the entire market, including money, salt, mattresses, chairs, and others looted. If you come now, you wouldn’t recognize the market”. 

“Our life is no at the threat because we have nothing to eat. Even others were dressed by the locals just to cover from the cold. Some are left with nothing. Thus, we need support, “Traders said.

South Sudan army said calm had restored, and peaceful disarmament exercise will continue in Tonj.

Thirty people killed, as disarmament turn to violence in Tonj

Illegal arms collected in Tonj, PHOTO credited: UNMISS

Multiple eyewitnesses in Tonj East County said more than thirty people have been killed when armed youth clashes with soldiers over the weekend.

The incident started on Saturday between armed youth and members of the disarmament team in Romic, Tonj East county headquarters.

An eye witness said the clashes were triggered by the killing of the local chief’s son who was allegedly shot dead by soldiers carrying out the disarmament.

It is not clear what led to the soldiers to open fire on civilians but eyewitnesses who spoke to Mayardit FM said it started over the headscarf, which the soldiers want to remove by force from civilians.

The headscarf was allegedly used to identify the group of youth during the violence differently.

Some residents in Tonj spoke to Mayardit FM said twenty civilians killed and ten soldiers reported lost their lives in the clashed.

Residents accused the disarmament soldiers of torturing civilians and forceful disarmament.

We were told that the guns were to be collected by our chiefs and hand over to the soldiers, but now it is the soldiers to collect from us by force. Human rights abuses have taken place because civilians’ elbows are being tied at the back when you are found carrying guns or suspected having a gun, citizens stated.”

The State authority was not available for comment.

However, the spokesperson of South Sudan People Defense Forces -SSPDF said there were causalities during the incident but declined to reveal the figures.

Major General Lul Ruai Koang promised that army would investigate the cause of the incident and account for the perpetrators.

People who started the fighting shall be questioned, and justice shall take place over them. That death is not connected to disarmament exercise but an isolation matter. The members of the disarmament team were rescuing the situation.”

Some residents said the massive number of people, mostly women, and children displaced from their homes 

Social media users have shared pictures of people displaced in the recent violence caused by the disarmament campaign. 

However, Chiefs and local Administrators directed to collecting guns from the hands of civilians in a period of ten days until Friday next week in Lakes State.

Governor: Makur Kulang said local authorities should engage youth to obeys the directives, warned that the peaceful disarmament campaign could turn to the use of force if the civilian failed to surrender their weapons.

South Sudan People Defense Forces-SSPDF launched the disarmament exercise in Tonj North County of Warrap state and Lakes, targeting armed civilians

Use tax money to repair the damages road in the state, NGO’s representatives said.

Some of the international nongovernmental organizations (INGOs) operating in Warrap state have rebuked government requests to contribute fuel for road repairs in the state.

This week state government wrote a letter which was circulated to all INGOs and NNGOs) copy of it seen by Mayardit FM in Turalei requesting them to contribute in kind fuel worth (6,400 USD) for roads repair work in the state.

Letter from Twic authority

Some of humanitarian organizations said the initiative of repairing the road is a good idea but not part of their activities and declined to offer any support.

Ms Achel Barac Atem, the head of NGO MADA. She said the renovation of the roads would help beneficiaries of food assets to get assistance on time. But she cited that her organization not working on developmental projects.

Some residents questioned the uses of personal income tax NGOs employees pay monthly to government to divert the money for road repair.

The Secretary-General of Twic government says the personal income tax generated regularly from NGOs is too little to support their development ideas.

Nyuol Kon Mawien explained that NGO workers are not many in his area.

‘’There are no many employees for the organizations working in Twic, we only receive nine thousand dollars after four months, and this work is emergency because it cannot wait more months. So what we did was a request to help. Kon said’’

Last week, Twic and Abyei authorities launched the repair of road Linking Nyindeng Ayuel with Abyei town.

A second wave of desert locust invaded some villages in Kapoeta.

Some residents in Kapoeta town have to start worrying about the second wave of desert locust seen in the area on Sunday.

Some community members said the large number of desert locust scared them, saying they might feed on all the green vegetation in their gardens.

In February, South Sudan was hit by desert locust swarm crossed from Kenya border through southern Magwi County in Eastern Equatoria. 

Local government and partners NGOs including UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) reported the situation to be under control.

some of the resident who to spoke to Singaita FM said the desert locust could cause poor harvest this year if nothing is done to stop the invasion.

“This thing [Locust] could bring hunger, sickness, finish grasses, and complete all the trees. The locust comes here to kapoeta; they will finish our gardens, which are almost to be harvested, we are praying God locust should not come down.”

“The government should look into the matter, where they get locust they should spread with the chemical so that they cannot finish the garden, grasses or complete all the trees” farmers reacted.

one of the officials from defunct Kapoeta state said the authority is coordinating with FAO to support South Sudan on the locust prevention 

 Kadong Merisia is a Director at the State Ministry of Agriculture. He said the government and its partners are in the ground to stop the desert locust.

” In Kapoeta yesterday of cost, the enormous locust come to Kapoeta we heard the information with the help of FAO Agriculture and food security. The task force to combat locust is that because we have facility supported by FAO, theirs emerged. That is why we manage to go and spread the locust at Nanaknak.

Mr. Merisia said the government would continue with the exercise to defeat the invaded desert locust in Eastern Equatoria.

The desert locust is a locust species, a periodically swarming, short-horned grasshopper in the family Acrididae.

Chinese gold mining suspended in Ngauro.

Local mining in Ngauro area , Eastern Equatoria. Credited: SINGAITA FM

State government stopped Chinese gold mining activities which have been ongoing in Ngauro area in BUDI County.
The official says Chines mining company must stop their activities until the state cabinets formed.
David Eriga is the Secretary-General of the defunct state of Kapoeta. He says a new agreement needed between mining companies and Eastern Equatoria government.
Eriga stated that Chinese mining workers had been evacuated from Ngauro to Kapoeta town on Monday.
“Chinese and other foreigners national were brought to kapoeta town. They will stay here until the further directives and all the equipment that they could not take, remain with local authorities on the ground.

The previous agreement made when kapoeta was a state, but now we are back to Eastern Equatoria, which requires us to change the deal.
The secretary further said mining activities in the area harms the environment. And companies directed to cover holes created during their operation in the fields to avoid stagnant water, drawing of animals and people.

The Chines Mining Company is not yet to respond on the matter.
This week, five local gold mining workers survive after hole collapsed.
One of the survivors told Singaita FM that he and his friend went to the mining hole after a girl got about 124 grams of gold.

Peter Loboi said the mining is only the business that feeds his families.
The State government has legally allowed the communities to continue with local mining and promised to buy from local people.