Gunmen killed infants, kidnaped two boys in Bor

Child killed and two boy abducted over the weekend in Jonglei State

Attackers in Jonglei State have killed an 8-month-old baby and kidnapped two children aged 13 and 15 at Pagok village in Jonglei State on Saturday. All victims are from one family.

Police said the mother and her children came under attack while footing on a feeder road heading to Cha-Akau village after leaving Bor town.

Maj. Gen. Joseph Mayen is the Commissioner of Police. He said the mother of the abducted children was freed unharmed.

General Joseph says the slain infant’s body was found by the local youth who were following abductors a few hours later after children were kidnapped.

“the criminals live in the bushes, and they do have their coordinated plan of what to do, there are only a few villages that people live, but these criminals do disturb, they can ambush the people. The youth do patrol around. Women are vulnerable, older people are vulnerable, and children are vulnerable too. So, the youth shouldn’t allow women to move alone in the bushes.”

Child abductions and cattle raiding among Jonglei neighboring communities rose during the dry seasons for years. Several peace initiatives conducted did not end the kidnapping and cattle raiding activities in the area.

According to the Police, no suspect being arrested so far. Authority in Bor claimed the attackers are believed to be from Pibor Administrative Area, an allegation that couldn’t independently be verified.

In July last year, South Sudan’s Vice President James Wani Igga was tasked to mediate peace among Jonglei communities. He promised that the government had taken decisive decisions to restore security.

VP Igga appealed to community leaders to support the government’s effort for peace and stability, emphasizing that peace is necessary for development and prosperity.

Twitter Feeds


Facebook Feeds

Categories

Archives